Aged Care for Older Adults
Whether ageing in place or within an aged care facility, ageing brings about a decline in physical and mental abilities. The problem is aggravated when your loved one is also suffering from an ailment. In times like these – it is important to be able to rely on someone who can provide the right care for the elderly in their homes. It could be just for a couple of hours in the day or full-time in home care, depending on the condition of your loved one ageing in place.
An in home nursing care specialist such as a Home Care Assistance Care Worker can help your loved one live a better life. If you look for aged care services near me, you will find several aged care services dedicated to helping older adults to age at home.
Here are some ways that an aged care service provider will help:
- Ensure that your loved one’s favourite lotions and grooming supplies are handy.
- If your loved one has a morning routine, encourage them to achieve as much of that routine as possible, even if they are required to remain in bed for the majority of the morning routine.
- Help older adults ageing at home with routine activities such as dressing, combing hair, and investing in their appearance to maintain dignity and self-esteem.
- Ensure that the loved one wears a hat and sunscreen when they are outdoors.
- Ensure that your loved one maintains a healthy hygiene routine. Whilst ageing in place, hygiene and routines can slip.
- Ensure that your loved one has daily nutrition. They will serve a bigger meal when appetite is greater, usually mornings.
- Offer 5-6 small meals throughout the day.
- Prepare liquid meals such as soup and juices.
- Prepare soft foods as they are not as reactive as warm and spicy foods.
- Encourage your loved one to take walks- it is helpful for mood, sleep, and also energy.
- If the individual needs to stay in bed, an in home care agency Care Worker will try to facilitate some form of mild exercise if approved by a doctor.
- Encourage deep breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Keep your loved one happy by playing their favourite music to lift their mood.
- Plan a daily routine, balancing activities and rest time, with activities arranged at times when their energy levels are high.
- Try and ensure their life is social, encouraging visits from friends and relatives.
You can look for a reputable aged care service provider through searching for my aged care and allow a better quality of life and care for the elderly loved one in your life. With ageing in place, or ageing while staying in their own home, your loved one will enjoy their twilight years comfortably and contentedly.