As we age, it becomes increasingly important to maintain a healthy diet to ensure that our bodies are properly supported. This is especially true during the winter months when colds and flus can easily take hold, and when seniors in particular, need to pay extra attention to their nutrition during this time, to help boost their immune system and stave off illness.
To help seniors stay healthy and well-nourished this winter, making warm, comforting meals that are packed with nutrients and easy to prepare should be an absolute priority, however standing on your feet for long periods of time prepping isn’t possible for many seniors, which is why at Home Care Assistance, our dedicated Care Professionals are on hand to assist with meal prep – from chopping and dicing, to portioning out meals, labelling them for freezing, and even helping to pick out great recipes. In addition to this, they can also help with shopping and grocery list planning, as well as assist with cleaning and washing up in the kitchen, not to mention providing companionship.
When it comes to preparing meals it’s important to be prepared and to plan ahead. By making extra meals, you are able to freeze them, which is not only cost effective, but can also save money on groceries and reduce the amount of time spent cooking throughout the week. Having homemade meals on hand, also makes it much easier to stick to a healthy diet even when you’re short on time. If you’ve never done meal prep before, it can initially be daunting, when really it isn’t. Here are a few tips on how to prep your meals this winter:
- Plan ahead: Decide which meals you want to make and create a shopping list. Stick to simple dishes that are easy to prepare and that freeze well.
- Invest in high-quality storage containers: Look for air-tight containers that are freezer-safe. Plastic or glass containers and freezer bags work well for storing prepped meals.
- Cook your meals: Cook your meals as you normally would, focusing on ones that you can easily divvy up into portion sizes.
- Let them cool completely: This is very important. Allowing meals to cool completely will help them freeze faster and prevent the formation of ice crystals.
- Label your meals: Label each container with the name of the dish and the date it was prepared. This will help you keep track of what you have in your freezer and prevent waste.
- Take portion sizes into account: Make sure to package your meals in portion sizes that work for your needs. This will help you avoid having to thaw out more than you need and help minimize waste.
- Freeze your meals: Put the containers in the freezer and make sure to leave some space at the top to allow for the food to expand as it freezes.
- Reheat and enjoy: When it’s time to enjoy your prepped meals, simply defrost them and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Remember, when it comes to choosing meals to prepare and freeze, it’s important to select foods that will not spoil when defrosted. Some foods that freeze particularly well include soups, stews, and casseroles, meals that are packed with nutritious ingredients like vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains to provide seniors with the energy and nutrients they need to stay healthy all winter long.
Nutrition is an essential component for the health and wellbeing of seniors, particularly during the winter months. When aging in place, it is important for seniors to be prepared when it comes to meals – food that is warm and comforting, as well as nutritious. With the help and support of our dedicated Care Professionals, seniors can enjoy delicious, healthy meals without the stress or hassle of having to cook alone.
Support of a home care company like Home Care Assistance, can bring enormous benefit and comfort to your quality of life while living independently at home. Home Care Assistance has viable solutions when it comes to supporting independent living. For more information, get in touch with Home Care Assistance near me today.
Join Our Newsletter
Our Latest News
As a leading age care provider, Home Care Assistance offers tailored in-home care services for older Australians, enabling them to live happier and healthier lives in the comfort of their own homes.
We offer private and government subsidised Care Packages and have office locations that are a registered NDIS provider. Our Care Workers undergo extensive training in order to deliver unmatched in-home aged care services where people can continue ageing in place. We are proud ambassadors of the My Aged Care government funded aged care program, enabling Australians to successfully navigate the process and gain approval for in-home care support packages. Home Care Assistance offers hourly care, specialised care, Alzheimer’s and Dementia care, hospital to home care, and 24 hour in home care.